Friday, May 06, 2011

He Arose!

I was reading a blog post by Ann Voskamp about tomb-centered Christianity and I was struck with this thought, am I living my life in light of His death for my sin, or am I living life in light of the empty tomb?

And what exactly does it mean to live life in light of Jesus, who victoriously conquered death?
I mean what does that look like?

Does it mean that we run around all happy and bubbly all the time?
The reality is that life is hard sometimes. It's not all happy and bubbly all the time. Even though I a living a redeemed life, it's still hard sometimes. There are still heart breaking things that each of us walk through.

Just ask my friends Mike and Becka they have walked through really hard times, and are still walking through really hard times. I'm pretty sure that there are days they don't feel like lifting their hands to the heavens and praising God.
I'm sure that they are not dancing around like this.


At times I want to, and maybe I do dance around like that. And what a cool thing, and so many shoes for people in need.

But as we walk through the everyday humdrum, and the heartaches and hard times, I don't know about you, but I'm not dancing my shoes off.

Recently I read a book by Mary Beth Chapman, called Choosing to See, I'll let her explain it herself.


I have been reading through the Gospels over the last several months. I am in the book of Luke right now. I have been struck in a new way with the reality of the resurrection. Sometimes I hear stories so many times that they become mundane to me, I've heard the Easter story yearly, for my entire life. It has been refreshing as I have read through the 4 accounts recorded in scripture to not so much focus on the crucifixion, but instead to focus on the resurrection. Don't get me wrong, the crucifixion is clearly an important and integral part of the story, but so is the part about the Risen Lord.

So what I am wrestling with is this: what does it mean and look like to live life in light of the empty tomb?

No comments: