I tried to give blood yesterday. I've always wanted to give blood, but in the past had never been able to because I had spent time in a area of the world that had malaria, I had never gone 3 years without being in a place considered high risk for it.
So yesterday, when I got an email stating that blood was desperately needed at the local hospital, and especially A+, I looked at the calendar and realized it had been 3 years since I got back from Colombia. I called and made an appointment.
I also called a friend to ask if she could drive me home, since I tend to get very dizzy and light headed when my blood is drawn, I've had really bad experiences in the past.
I was so excited, I couldn't wait to finally contribute in this way.
I got to the blood donation center, and they pricked my finger. They determined that I was most definitely NOT anemic.
Then they started on the long list of questions.
Have you taken antibiotics in the last week? NO
Have you had a vaccine in the last month? NO
Have you had sex with a prostitute or someone who takes money for sex? No
Have you had sex with a male who has had sex with males? No
Have you been to Africa? Yes
Did you have sex in Africa? Absolutely not
Have you ever been told that you are HIV positive? NO
Have you gotten a tattoo in the last year? I don't have tattoos
Have you taken drugs through a needle? No
Have you had sex with someone who takes drugs through a needle? again NO
It went on and on. It felt like one of those facebook questionnaires, only a really inappropriate and awkward one.
And then we got to the following question.
"Did spend 3 months or more cumulatively in England between the years 1980 and 1996?"
I had to think a bit, do a little math in my head, and then I said, "cumulatively? Yes, I spent approximately 4 days or more in England every year between 1982 and 2002."
Then she dropped it, the giant bomb, "then you can't give blood"
I'm sure the look of shock on my face was priceless.
"You mean ever in my life?"
"Yes you can never give blood, unless the FDA changes it's regulations."
"Is this because of mad cow disease?"
"yes"
"Wouldn't I have already gotten sick from it by now, had I been exposed to the virus that causes mad cow disease? I mean I know you don't make the rules, this is just astounding to me."
She said she was sorry, I told her it was okay, it wasn't really her fault.
Then I told my friend, who was waiting to drive me home that I didn't need her services because I can never give blood.
Then I called my mom as I drove home.
This is what blows my mind, I've traveled to China, back in the early 80's, back when it wasn't like it is now, I've been to Zimbabwe and South Africa, I've been to Colombia. Shoot at certain times of the year in the town I grew up in, this spray truck drives around with some chemical misting the air, to kill the mosquito larvae, which carry malaria and things of that nature. I've been on planes flying out of countries, where the regulation is that they have to spray the plane, while the passengers hold their breath, to kill any lurking bugs, before take off.
And none of that disqualifies me from giving blood.
Ironically, my dad is a regular blood donor, and they must have started asking this question after he could give blood in the states because his 3 year malaria window had passed, because he has recently given blood.
I called my brother, who told me that he gave blood a month ago, they asked him the same question, he answered it the same way, and then they asked if he had received medical care in the United Kingdom, he said no, and they said he could donate.
I checked the FDA website and apparently the nurse here is completely right, and they should stop accepting my brothers' and my dad's blood. My mom can never give blood either.
It's always amazing to me, the things that come up, that I never expected would ever be an issue because of my childhood growing up overseas and travelling the world.
I think it's pretty safe to say, that ever in my wildest dreams, I never expected that visiting London frequently, and Northern Ireland too, would disqualify me from ever donating blood. I wonder if they can take my organs when I die, or if they will be considered contaminated.
1 comment:
Crazy, if you consider that in England, people who lived there during that period of time are allowed to give blood!!
Post a Comment