I have been thinking a lot lately about the word compassion, and what it means, and what it means to live it out.
When I think of the word compassion, I generally think about the organization Compassion International. Which always leads me to the little girl I sponsor.
I googled the word compassion and came up with several definitions, the most basic being "to suffer together with."
David repeatedly cries out to the Lord in the Psalms, that God would show him His compassion. He also calls the Lord's compassion great, that He is full of compassion (Psalm 119.)
Many times the prophets talk about the Lord showing compassion, even though the people of God are not deserving of it.
Many times the Gospel writers talk about Jesus having compassion for people. He had compassion for large crowds who were without food and leadership and teaching. He had compassion for individuals who were sick or blind or lame.
Jesus tells the parable of the prodigal son and says that when the father saw his son a long way off, even though the son had squandered his inheritance, the father had compassion for him.
In Colossians Paul tells us to clothe ourselves with compassion, and a few other attributes as well.
What does that mean though? What does that look like?
There are a lot of hurting people in this world, there are a lot of needs. There aren't enough hours in the day or dollars in my bank account to help all the people in need around me, or for the causes I care strongly about.
Recently I was talking about homeless people with some friends, and how we always feel a little weird giving them money, I mean I know there are some people out there who pose as homeless people and basically con you. And I know a lot of homeless people tend to spend their money on alcohol and such. And there are the people who are homeless because of really poor choices they have made.
Several years ago though, something my brother said really changed my view. He had recently started working in San Diego, where they have a very large homeless population, and he was interacting with several of them on a regular basis due to his job, and he was learning their stories. And that's what changed me, their stories. They all have them.
And what about hitchhikers? I mean, I know that for safety reasons it is not wise for me, a single woman, often driving alone to pick them up. In college though, I got to know a guy, who I worked with at camp, who loves to hitch hike, for the adventure. He isn't a creep, he actually studied youth ministry at a Christian college, he actually has worked in full time ministry and as a youth pastor. He will choose to hitchhike from the East Coast to the West Coast instead of buying a plane ticket, just for the adventure and to meet people. I am not suggesting this is something we should all try, but knowing him has changed my perspective when I pass a hitchhiker on the road.
I don't think it's possible for us to give of our time, money, effort, emotions to every cause. I have friends who are passionate about stopping the sex slave trade, and friends who are passionate about orphans, and friends who are passionate about helping the homeless. And I think it's important to give somewhere.
But what does it mean to posses the character trait compassion?
What about the everyday occurrences that provide us the opportunity to show compassion, not for a cause, but for a person, or for a family. How do I develop a more compassionate heart in this callous world, when I often find myself closed off in an effort to protect myself?
I know this is an area where God is working on me, where 2 years ago I would have tried to stealthily take a photo of an ildressed individual to send to friends for a good laugh, I now find myself wondering what her story is. I wonder what the hurts are in her life, that have caused her to seek attention by wearing what she is wearing. I am left wondering whether she knows that there is One who created her, who loves her completely, and whose heart is breaking with hers as He watches her, knowing that He is the only thing that can fill the hole in her heart that she is trying to so desperately to fill.
No comments:
Post a Comment