Thursday, July 05, 2012

I Love This City

When Christi agreed to help me drive up my stuff, I told her I would take her site seeing.  That was before I knew where I would be.  When I was offered and took a job halfway between Boston and New York City, I told her we could go to either. 
She picked Boston, good choice Christi.


We had originally planned to ride the duck boat first, to give her an overview of the city.  However, we were running late and so we cancelled the duck boat and our adventure in my favorite city started.

After an uneventful ride in on the green line, we stopped first at Park Street Church, the Granary Burial Grounds, and THE Boston Common.  We saw the Frog Pond, and the enjoyed the people watching.



Then we headed to the State House.  We also viewed the monument to General Shaw and his regement of African American men in the Civil War, the National Park guide gave us an impassioned history of the regement.

Note the amazingly beautiful weather, it was perfect.

Next we headed to the Boston Garden, where we viewed the Ducklings.


And then we decided to ride the swan boats.  Something I frequently begged to do as a kid.

While we were riding the pedal powered by high schooler boat, we noticed something floating in the sky.  Low and behold it was actually Navy SEALs landing in Boston Common.  Happy 4th of July to us!

Next we walked over to Newbury Street, also known as the garment district.


Added sidenote... My friend actually used to make wedding dresses at this Vera Wang store.  True story... Anyway you just don't find shops selling $785 shoes in West Kentucky, we perused but didn't buy anything.

We weren't done yet, we hopped on the T and headed to government center, where we viewed the very ugly City Hall while walking over the Faneuil Hall
 

And also Quincy Market, and the street performances that were there, love those street performers


We weren't done yet.  We walked over the Long Warf.

Please note the apartment building on the left, I want to live there, or know someone who lives there one day.
We happened upon a Rose Garden, it was beautiful.



Next up was a walk over to the North End where we ate a delcious meal at my favorite Italian joint and then of course ate some Mike's pastry

Are you tired yet?  Well we weren't.  We walked back over to Long Warf (it's not that far) where we road the T boat over to Navy Yard
A stranger took this amazing photo, don't be jealous, I was in the middle of my canoli

The Tall Ships were in town for the bicentennial of the War of 1812, so we got to tour the Eagle, the Tall Ship at the US Coast Guard Academy as well as the Constitution... FOR FREE.  There were some very important men on the ship, we don't know who they are, but they were announced when they boarded the ship, so clearly they are a big deal.

We weren't done with Boston, but Boston had decided we had seen enough for one day.  We tried to take the Red line over to Harvard Square, however, um... there was major delays on the Red line so instead we hopped back on the Green line back to the car.   Christi noted that on our 1 train car on the green line there were more single men approximately our age than we know in all of my former town in West Kentucky.  Truth Christi, it's okay to be single and 31 here.

Christi also got to experience some unruly teenagers on the ride, wouldn't be a trip to the City without them.

1 comment:

M. Schlansker said...

Sounds like you didn't leave much undone on your sightseeing adventure. I love going into the city. Still things we haven't done yet.