Friday, February 11, 2011

Sober Hope

There are always rumors that women will be allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia soon.

In 2002, there was an election for parliament in Bahrain. It was the first election in that country since 1975.

People ask me all the time about my childhood in the Middle East. They want to know, was it horrible? No it wasn't. They want to know, what am I eating? It looks gross they say.


Sometimes they want my opinion about Middle Eastern politics.
It's complicated I say.

Last weekend I was watching the protests in Egypt with some people. They asked a lot of questions.
Who is Hosni Mubarak?
What is the Islamic Brotherhood?
Why are they protesting when they already have a democracy, I mean they have a president?

Then a friend sent me a message. What is my opinion on the situation in Egypt? He wanted to know.

I sent him a very long and confusing reply.

Then I sent him another long and confusing reply.

Then I sent him an apology for the 2 long and confusing messages.

I compared my younger brother's personality and my personality to Arabs and Americans.

I told him that I didn't think the US getting involved would make anything better.

I told him that it was my hope that one day the people of the Middle East would enjoy similar freedoms to those we have here in the United States. I don't mean that the Middle East would be just like the United States, but that the people there would be able to choose their leaders, have freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to worship as they please.

I told him that I am hopeful, but that the hope is sober, because in the Arab world, it's complicated. You just don't believe it till you see it.

I really hope that there is no change to the shwarma industry. I didn't tell him that, I don't think he knows what shwarma is.

I got hungry for Arab food, so I went to the store and bought the stuff to make tabbouleh, and humus.

Yesterday I started watching Al Jazeera's English broadcast live. I kept running back to my office to grab brief updates. I shouted them to my coworker. I think he was only interested because I was so excited.

When Hosni Mubarak came on national television in Egypt and told the people he was not stepping down I saw the people wave their shoes at him.

I knew that this is one of the most awful signs of disrespect an Arab can show.
I remembered about the time when the guy in Iraq threw a shoe at President Bush. I remembered how the American press took it as "this guy wanted to kill him but all he had was a shoe, it's a safety issue" and I laughed, not at the disrespect, but that they didn't realize it was disrespect. Not a safety issue folks, it's his version of the middle finger.

Someone asked me last night what I thought now that Hosni Mubarak had not stepped down.

I told them that I didn't think it was over yet. In the morning it was going to be Friday, the last day of the week. The holy day. There would be even more people in the street.

This morning I got up and swam.
Then I quickly checked Al Jazeerah and Facebook.
I saw millions of people it seemed in the streets chanting.
My friend had this quote posted from a youtube video.
‎"fi kolli share3 fi blady, sout el 7orriya binadi"- In every street in my homeland, the sound of freedom is calling.

Then I went to do something I had to do for work.
Then I went to my office to work on paperwork.

I opened Al Jazeerah on my computer literally just as Omar Suleiman announced on national television in Egypt that Hosni Mubarak had stepped down.

I heard the reporters stop talking, stop translating. I heard the voice, of the people, of Egypt. It was loud and clear, even through the news broadcast on the internet. I saw them dancing. I saw a fire breather. I heard celebratory gunfire.

Then the commentary started up again.
I heard a woman say, in very clear English "I have been working for this all my adult life." She paused to compose herself. "I don't have words." Her voice cracked, "I never thought I would see this in my lifetime."

Another reporter, the same exact age as me said through tears, "I was born days after Mubarak took power. I have never known anything but the regime."

I posted on facebook, congratulating Egypt, for their peaceful demonstrations.

I heard an american commentator state that they were concerned, what if the elected government doesn't agree with the US policies in Israel and other places?
Um really? You would want to deny an entire country of people the same rights that you, as an American citizen enjoy, because you are fearful that the government they choose may not agree with some US foreign policy?
Isn't that the point? That the people of Egypt, should get to go to the polls and cast their vote? And choose their leaders, for their country?

I thought "this woman is completely missing the point, it's not about foreign policy, it's about human rights"

Someone commented on my facebook status, that it was an unbelievable story. But it's more than that, it's hope.
Hope that the people of Egypt can keep things together, and hold free and fair elections, and choose their government.
Hope that they can make the ideals that they have a reality.
Hope that they can be a model for other Arab nations.
Hope that they can enjoy freedoms like we have the privilege of enjoying.

The only difference is that because they have fought for those rights, they will probably actually show up to vote.

But that hope is sober, there is still a long way to go.

No comments: