Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Vroom Vroom

Yesterday was a very interesting day. I was at my desk at work, working on stuff when my personal pink cell phone range. It was a number from Massachusetts that I did not recognize. I answered it and discovered that my mom's 3 cousins, Fred, Will, and John, were on their annual motorcycle trip. They were only a couple miles from my house and they were wondering if they could stop in for dinner. You have to understand that Fred, Will, and John are the sons of my mom's favorite aunt, and that I know her very well, but by the time I was a child Fred, Will and John were all living lives of their own. So I got off work at 3:30 and rushed over to meet them at the court square. We had a delightful time, they inspected my house, said my roof looks good, gave me recommendations for fixing the sagging cceiling in the kitchen, looked in the basement, and the eaves upstairs. (One is an architect and one is a construction engineer) We toured Murray State, I showed them the basketball arena and other important landmarks, like the soccer field and the football practice field. We then took our reunion to Jasmine's, the best Thai restaurant in Murray, or rather the only. It is very good even if it is the only one. We had a nice conversation about their aging parents and my aging grandparents. We talked about 401Ks, we talked about Will's four kids, Kanya, Thomas, Brian and Kelly. We then headed for ice cream at Dairy Queen, they didn't believe me that it was the best Dairy Queen in America until they saw the establishment. They were delighted that it was an old school dairy queen and we took a photo. They then headed on their bikes back towards Clarksville, TN. I am so glad they stopped. SO glad they took the time to call and stop in. Yes my house was not spotless, yes I was not wearing my best work attire, yes I wasn't really prepared. But I have learned that in the end, those things don't matter as much. There will always be more dirty dishes. ALWAYS. But how often do your mom's cousins show up from Boston on their motorcycles?

No comments: