Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bible Study

I have always loved to study the Bible. I like to read it, but more than just reading it, I like to dig deep. I like to know what the historical context is, I want to know what the Hebrew translation is. What is the significance of the passage?

In college I heard a speaker one time, he was talking about the massive amount of prophecy in the Old Testament that pointed to Jesus. I loved it. I spent the next several weeks learning about where Old Testament prophesies were fulfilled in the New Testament.

I love doing Beth Moore studies.
I love drawing out the temple and learning about significance of the various and assorted pieces in the Holy of Holies.

When I read David's descriptions of the stars, I think about nights from my childhood, out in the desert. If you've never seen the stars on a clear night in the desert, I hope you get to sometime. There are not words.

I also like to read books other than the Bible, but I have learned that these books can't replace actual reading of the Bible itself. I love Donald Miller, Beth Moore, Max Lucado, John Ortberg, but they cannot replace Paul and David, Matthew, Mark, Isaiah...

I love reading Daniel's dream about the Son of Man, and then flipping over to the New Testament where Jesus calls himself the Son of Man.

A few months ago a guy I grew up with had a very interesting statement on his facebook status. He said "I hate it when people call a gathering a 'Bible study' when really it should be considered a Christian self-help group."

He is right. It's not that a Christian self-help group is wrong. But lets be honest, sometimes there isn't much or any actual Bible study going on. Community is important, and Bible study is important, both, equally.

I had an imbalance. Now I am getting back to Bible study, and loving it. I read last night about how Laban chased after Jacob because Rachel had stolen Laban's gods. I laughed at Rachel's response to Laban as to why she couldn't get off her camel. I was reminded that God's Word is living. I was reminded that God's Word is relevant today. I was reminded that I am fortunate, that I have to so many resources available to be able to study His Word!!!

No comments: