$51.20
That is how much money I spent on tolls on the way up here.
Seriously.
I was expecting tolls, I mean, I've driven most of these roads before, but really?
Really Pennsylvania turnpike?
I took out $40 in cash before leaving Kentucky, just to be sure I would have enough for the tolls.
Yeah, funny, because I got to the George Washington Bridge and the toll was $12 and I had $4 left. So there I am, sitting in my truck, counting out quarters and nickels and dimes that I had been saving for the little tolls when I am going from place to place around New England. I can feel the drivers behind me getting mad.
"Do you have enough? We can send you a bill if you don't" says the tollbooth lady.
I wanted to yell "I WOULD HAVE ENOUGH IF YOU PEOPLE DIDN'T CHARGE A BILLION DOLLARS TO DRIVE A MILE."
But I didn't, I just gave her my last couple dimes and said "there that's $12."
"Where are you headed?" she asked
"Massachusetts."
"You know there are going to be more tolls right?"
UM yes I do know that, again, I just didn't expect to have to pay $12 to cross a bridge, it seems like last year it was $6.
That is how my day Monday went. I found an ATM to get more cash. I made it up to my brother's town, and watched the parade as I walked to find my niece and nephew and sister in law. I found them just after my brother drove by in his fire truck and the parade was over. Oh well.
I enjoyed the quick visit with them. I learned that my nephew's favorite lunch meat is pastrami, really. My niece informed me that elegant is the fancy word for fancy.
I made it to my Aunt's before the traffic got so heavy it slowed down. Arwen and her sister popped in for a quick visit on their way from Boston where they were visiting their grandfather in the hospital.
I was exhausted. I was thankful to be in close enough proximity to so many important people to me that I could see them all in one day. But all I could really think about was that I really need EZ pass, but should really wait until I have switched to a bank account and have a permanent address up here. Oh EZ pass, I look forward to your presence in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment