Saturday, April 02, 2011
Library Loser
Last summer I realized that my book collection was getting out of control, and that really after I had read them, most of them just sat on a shelf collecting dust. So I boxed up a whole bunch of good ones and shipped them off to my cousins, who are both missionaries overseas, but were in the states at the time. I also decided to start using the public library instead of buying so many books.
I will say that for the most part, I buy used books, so I wasn't spending hordes of money on them, but why not try the free option right?
So while I still occasionally bought used books, I also checked out several, and I checked out DVDs, since you know, they actually had movies I wanted but hadn't seen.
So now that work has slowed down a bit, I decided to hit up the library this week for some books and movies. I selected 2 books, and 2 movies, more on that later. I went to the check out desk, and low and behold, I HAD LATE FEES.
No biggie right.
Except that I had 9 DOLLARS IN LATE FEES.
Apparently last fall as things were starting to pick up, I had returned 2 DVDs 2 days late, and some books late also. I have no recollection of this, but the kind desk clerk printed off the details, and yes, they were books and DVDs that I had borrowed.
So I look in my wallet, and I have $1 in cash.
The checkout guy says "If you pay it down to under $5 I can let you checkout the books"
Yes but I only have $1. So picture this, I am standing there with my 2 books and 2 DVDs and no money, and feeling like a total loser.
So I say "I'm sorry sir, but I can't check these out, I have no cash to pay the fines, I'll have to come back later."
I handed him the goods, and turned and walked out, my head down in shame.
I mean seriously, NINE DOLLARS, who has NINE DOLLARS in late fees at the public library?
And yes I went to the bank and got some cash, and returned to the library the next day where the two books and one of the DVDs were still available for checkout.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment