Monday, April 04, 2011

Some Myths about this single life

Last night I was in my kitchen preparing some food for an event I have tonight, which requires bringing food. I really needed a food processor, but since I don't have one, I was trying to crush up oreos and mix in cream cheese with my potato masher. It was a struggle. As I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a food processor, I started thinking about some common myths that many married people have about single people. I thought I would share a few with you today.

Myth: Single people have more free time.

Truth: While it's true that single people don't have to consult anyone about how to spend their time, they definitely don't necessarily HAVE more of it. For one, most single people I know have full time jobs. They still have to cook, and clean, and do laundry. They still have to grocery shop, and go to the bank. They still have to mow the lawn. While married folk, especially if they have kids, might have more to do, married couples have 2 sets of hands to do the work, single people have to do it themselves. Adding to the fact that single people don't necessarily have more free time is the fact that most employers expect single people to spend more time at work, be willing to always step in when the married folk have family obligations, work holidays and weekends, etc... I actually have one friend who's boss has told her on several occasions that she is not allowed to take vacations because she is single, only long weekends, when she is married and has a family she will understand, or so they tell her.

Myth: Single people have more disposable income

Truth: Young married couples typically have 2 incomes and live off one, using the extra income to pay off debt, build savings, etc... Single people don't have that luxury. While the married folk are paying off their school loans quickly, or their credit card debt quickly, or whatever, the single folk are paying their loan payments, and their rent or mortgage, and what ever else off just 1 income. While single people have more freedom to choose how they spend their disposable income, they don't generally actually have more of it.
I actually got an angry email one time when I was told by a married individual that I would be participating financially in a group gift. I replied stating that I had already purchased a gift within my budget for the individual and that I would not be participating. The organizer got angry, stating that they had already counted my contribution and purchased the gift card, and they didn't understand why I couldn't just fork over more money, since I don't have anything better to spend it on.

Myth: single people get what they want when they want it

Truth: sort of related to the whole disposable income thing. While my married friends got their houses outfitted when they had those wedding showers, I'm still trying to catch up in a sense. I never had a party where people gave me whatever I wanted on a long list of things I wanted for my house. For this reason, I have asked for things like dishes for Christmas and birthdays. That stuff can add up pretty quickly. For the last two christmass I have actually put a food processor on the short list I send my mom. I think my family thinks it's a joke. That or they are tired of buying me stuff for my house. I mean, they have given me towels that match already. So while my married friends don't have to worry about dishes or towels or food processors, because they got all that when they got married, if it's something I need, I have to buy it myself or ask for it for Christmas and birthdays, when what I really want are a pair of Toms shoes, and a bike.

No comments: